Sunday, October 21, 2012

Giraffe Rattle

When I first saw this pattern I just had to buy it!
You can buy it too here.









The pattern calls for Worsted Weight Yarn and 4.5 mm crochet hook.  I used Lily Sugar'n Cream (it's what I had on hand) for the yellow, and some scrap brown yarn that I also had on hand.  4.5 mm hook is a 7 here in the US... which wasn't in my hook case (where oh where did I put that hook?) So... I opted to use a smaller size, I used the G / 6 size hook.


The materials list of this pattern calls for a little bell to use for the rattle.  I really did not like this option, so I came up with something else.

I have beads:



and I have bead containers:

 So, I put the two together:



Then I wanted to be sure the two were sealed so I used packaging tape on both ends.


I already did one end and this is how I did the second end; I centered the container on the tape


folded up one end of the tape


wrapped the tape around the bead holder


folded the other end of the tape up and wrapped the tape around


Taped on both ends


My rattle will easily fit in the body of the giraffe.  (I'm also thinking, wow this is big! **Remember I used a smaller hook than what the pattern called for.)


Here are all of the pieces after I made them.
Since I had all of the parts made and ready to create the giraffe it was time to start the assembly.  I sewed the body spots on first.  Now, this is different than what the pattern tells you to you.  (Do you remember in my previous posts where I state that patterns and recipes are "Guidelines" or "Suggestions"? LOL)   It just made sense to me to sew the spots on first so that the tails could be concealed easier inside.  Also, I would have the ability to be able to use the inside for sewing as well.




I found some quilt batting in my stash that I had left over It just happened to be just the right width.  YES!

 
I tried wrapping it in Saran Wrap so I could insert it into the giraffe body. 
That didn't work.  So... I tried wrapping it in Waxed Paper.
That didn't work either... So... hmmm...




I opted to try sewing one end of the rolled batting.  I left the thread tails long just in case it would work and then I could pull the thread out. 
IT WORKED!!
It even worked to pull the thread out!
YES!



Oh... guess I should say I did stuff the ball end of the body a bit before I inserted the rattle.


I sewed the spot onto the back of the head and sewed on the horns.
Next is the ears!


I sewed on the nose and the mouth... again...
pre-stuffing and pre-sewing the snout onto the head


The snout is sewn on and the eyes have been embroidered.


Isn't that face just adorable?


Really?  Who could resist?

Now that the embroidery is done, all the eyelashes are on,
and the snout is on, I stuff the head and sew it to the body.





This rattle ended up being about 8 inches tall


The body is about 1 1/2 inches thick

Would I make this pattern again knowing how big it is?
DEFINITELY !

I would like to try it with perhaps baby yarn and yet a smaller hook.

It is still super cute!

Linked up with:
Made By You Monday
Toastie Studio Blog: Create & Inspire
I Gotta Try That
Inspire Me Monday





Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. This little giraffe is so cute. I should try and make one but it looks a little difficult for me. Either that or I am lazy. :) Thanks so much for sharing it on "I Gotta Try That Monday" linky party. Have a great day!
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! As with anyone I love to read your comments! I respond to them all, via email unless you are a no-reply blogger. If you are a no-reply blogger please leave your email address. Thank you for stopping by and looking!

I reserve the right to remove any comments that I feel are inappropriate.